I had one of the greatest “rude awakenings” last week, when a regular reader of this column, who was off the radar for some time, sent me a Whatsapp text from United States stating “doc, I am in US now, I have breast cancer, and I just had surgery(partial mastectomy) .
The Lady is a Ph.D holder, although from Anambra, but resides in Kaduna. On further communications she requested that I refresh my readers’ memories, by discussing breast cancer again.
Yes, I have discussed breast cancer ad nauseam, but the Anambra/Kaduna woman made a hospital request, which must be obeyed on compassionate grounds. Her grief being what she was told in the US, that if her breast lumps were discovered earlier, she wouldn’t have lost any part of her breast.
Yes, let me repeat, breast cancer accounts for 20% of all cancer in women. At Gregory University Uturu, Abia State, which is gradually turning into an institution of high repute, an enlightenment class has just been introduced for every female. At the confines of your room or hostel, at least once every 6 months, examine and palpate your breasts, and if you notice any lump, please consult your Doctor. We do not want to lose any female through breast cancer. Please let us err on the side of caution.
What are the essential summary for breast cancer?
Risk Factors :
• 1) Women – most women with breast cancer do not have identifiable risk factors.
• 2) Age – Over 60% of breast cancer occurs in women above 50.
• 3) Previous breast cancer – Highest risk are women who have had in-situ, invasive or lump which was removed.
• 4) Delayed child bearing – women who start their reproductive life late, say from 35 years above are at risk of breast cancer.
• 5) Family history – If a first-degree-relative like mother, sister or daughter had cancer, it increases the risk of their siblings developing breast cancer two to three folds.
• 6) Breast cancer gene – Recently two separate genes for breast cancer have been identified by Scientists – BRACA1 & BRACA2. If a woman has one of these genes her chances of developing breast cancer is very high.
• 7) Previous non-cancerous breast disease – Having had non-cancerous breast disease seems to increase risk of breast cancer, only in women who have an increased number of milk-ducts.
• 8) First menstruation before age 12 – Menopause after age 55. First pregnancy after age 30 or no pregnancies – all these 3 predispose to increased risk of breast cancer.
• 9) Oral contraceptives – Prolonged use of oral contraceptives or oestrogen replacement therapy increases the risk of breast cancer.
• 10) Obesity after menopause – seem to increase the risk of breast cancer. But some studies suggest that obese women who are still menstruating actually are less likely to develop breast cancer.
Symptoms that may indicate breast cancer
These symptoms don’t necessarily mean that a woman has breast cancer, however if a woman has them, she should see her doctor.
a) Swelling that doesn’t go away.
b) Puckering or dimpling.
c) Scaly skin around the nipple.
d) Changes in the shape of the breast.
e) Changes in the nipple, such as turning inwards.
f) Discharge from the nipple, especially if bloody.
How do we diagnose breast cancer?
1) When a lump that could be cancerous is found, a biopsy is performed – by removing some cells from the lump through a needle attached to a syringe – aspiration biopsy.
2) Or by removing a small piece of the tissue – incisional biopsy.
3) Or by removing the entire lump – excisional biopsy.
Most women don’t need to be hospitalised, and usually only local anaesthetics are needed.
4) Mammography, Ultrasound and Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI) are other diagnostic procedures.
Prevention of breast cancer.
Women may reduce the risk of breast cancer by:
1) Maintaining a healthy weight.
2) Drinking less alcohol.
3) Being physically active.
4) Breast feeding their children.
God who created breasts for suckling our children, did not permit that, it should also be a source of agony for our female folks. Be medically guided.
Please follow me on twitter ; @ _ DRSUN.
Please follow me on twitter: @ _ DRSUN
Culled from Daily Sun
Love Or Craziness? Man Buries His Father With N2.8m In Cash, Filled Inside His Glass Coffin (Photos)
A son who loves his father dearly, buried his deceased father in a final befitting send-off that involved a lot...
A MUST READ – 6 Terrible Cooking Practices You Need To Stop
When it comes to cooking, you may have some bad habits that you’re not even aware of. These practices may...
Who Do You Obey In This Situation, Your Pastor Or A Soldier?
An average Nigerian lives his or her life based on religion, culture and fear of uniform men. So imagine, you...
If You Have The Power To Sack A Serving Minister In Nigeria, Who Are You Sacking?
Guys, this is a straight forward post as many have one or two things to talk about when it comes...
What Was Your Offence For The Worst Beating You Ever Received From Your Parents?
This question has found a way to take me back to my days in Festac, phew! Now, while my dad...
DOWNLOAD ▷ AKA – Star signs Mp3 ▷ Naijaonpoint
Download AKA Star Signs mp3 download: S.A’s coolest rapper AKA kick starts 2018 with a new tune titled Star Signs featuring the veteran Stogie T....
Baddy Oosha – Oga [Music] • Naijaonpoint
Download Baddy Oosha Oga mp3 download: While we await his Hit single Timbalowo remix ft Olamide and 9ice. The latest...
DOWNLOAD ▷ Niniola – Saro mp3 [Music & lyrics] ▷ Naijaonpoint
Check & Download Niniola Saro Mp3 & Lyrics below! Afro-House Act , Niniola is out with a brand new single titled ‘Saro’....
Lil’ Boy by Justine Skye – Mp3 Download
Lil’ Boy by Justine Skye – Mp3 Download
Hello by Adele – Mp3 Download
Hello by Adele – Mp3 Download Click here >>>>> Buy Song on Amazon
Latest South African Music
DOWNLOAD mp3: AKA – Starsigns ft. Stogie T
AKA – Starsigns ft. Stogie T. AKA kickstarts 2018 with a fat tune tagged Star Signs a collaboration with rap...
DOWNLOAD mp3: A-Reece – A Real Nigga Tale ft. 1000 Degreez
DOWNLOAD mp3: B3nchMarQ – Ricco Case ft. Boy Wonder, SeQuel, Ecco
DOWNLOAD: VIDEO: ATM Documentary – Episode 2 // Making of Emtee’s Manando | Episode 1
VIDEO: KiD X – Aunty ft. Chiano Sky
DOWNLOAD: VIDEO: Miss Pru – Isaga Lam ft. LaSauce, Gigi Lamayne, Nadia Nakai & Londie London
DOWNLOAD mp3: Zakly – Expensive ft. Da L.E.S
Latest Ghanian Music
Addi Self – Today Too (Official Video)
SM Militant, Addi Self officially outdoors his music video for Today Too along with other members of the militants. The...
Captan – Don’t Complain (Official Video)
January 23, 2018 Leave a comment Shatta Movement Records releases the official music visuals to Don’t Complain by Captan, a...
Duke Gh – Something ft. Ahkan (Prod. by Citrus)
Duke D2 Music unveils this brand new single from DUKE GH formerly of the D2 Music Group. He calls on...
Joint 77 – Otophista (Official Video)
January 23, 2018 Leave a comment Shatta Movement Records presents the official music video for Otophista performed by SM Militant,...
AKA – Star Signs ft. Stogie T
South African Finest Rapper AKA is out with new single titled “Star Signs”, The rapper put out the joint for...